Nigerian Army Arrest Mastermind Of Owo Attack
Recall that no fewer than 40 worshippers were massacred at the St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo
The Chief of Defence Staff, CDS, Lucky Irabor, says security operatives have captured the masterminds of the June 5 massacre in Owo, Ondo State.
In an incident that jolted Nigeria and the global community, it would be recalled that no fewer than 40 worshippers were massacred at the St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo.
Speaking at a parley with media executives at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, Mr Irabo said that the terrorists were captured at different locations across the country.
He said that the suspects, most of whom were arrested in various communities in Kogi, would be paraded before the public in due course.
“We had wanted to present the suspects to the public immediately but couldn’t because certain investigations are still being carried out,” he said.
He gave his assurance that in due course, the suspects and others who had been involved in some daring attacks in the past few months would be presented to the public.
“On Aug. 7, one Idris Ojo (37) was apprehended at Aiyetorosi in Ondo State. He was one of the high-profile Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) members that escaped from Kuje Prison.
“He was arrested along with one Jimoh Ibrahim, a 39-year-old criminal.
“Ojo was not done with all the criminal activities which he undertook in the past, he was also planning other deadly attacks and he was perfecting those plans along with his cronies before he was captured,” he said.