Connect with us
Grow Business

Fury Narrowly Escapes Defeat, Beats Francis Ngannou

Tyson Fury


Fury Narrowly Escapes Defeat, Beats Francis Ngannou

Throughout the bout, Fury appeared to be confused, struggling to figure out how to approach Ngannou,

 Saudi Arabia– WBC heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury narrowly defeated former UFC fighter Francis Ngannou in a split decision victory during a non-title bout held in Saudi Arabia on Sunday, October 29.

The fight almost delivered one of boxing’s most surprising upsets, as many believed Ngannou deserved the win.

Fury, known as the “Gypsy King,” is an undefeated heavyweight champion with one of the sport’s most prestigious titles, but he faced a fierce challenge from the 37-year-old Ngannou, who had never before competed professionally in the boxing ring.

The contest went the full 10 rounds, with Ngannou displaying an impressive level of swagger and confidence throughout.

In a dramatic turn of events, Ngannou sent Fury to the canvas in the third round with a powerful left hook. Though Fury managed to recover and complete the round, it was evident that he was facing a formidable opponent.

More Afrika Eyes News  Anthony Joshua Defeats Helenius With Seventh-Round Knockout

The judges’ scorecards reflected the closely contested battle, with one judge scoring it 95-94 in favor of Ngannou. However, this decision was overruled by tallies of 96-93 and 95-94 in favor of Fury. Notably, Fury’s WBC heavyweight title was not on the line in this 10-round boxing match, and Ngannou was making his professional boxing debut after a hiatus since January 2022.

Prior to the fight, Tyson Fury was heavily favored with 14-1 odds, and a victory was expected to set the stage for an undisputed heavyweight championship bout against Oleksandr Usyk. However, the “Gypsy King” managed to secure the win, albeit in what many sports commentators referred to as his “worst performance of his career.”

More Afrika Eyes News  Edwards Defeats Kamaru Usman To Claim UFC 278 Title

Throughout the bout, Fury appeared to be confused, struggling to figure out how to approach Ngannou, whose timing and power were surprising. The third-round knockdown marked the seventh of Fury’s career, but he once again displayed his resilience and got back on his feet.

Despite the intense showdown and the judges’ decision, there have been allegations from some quarters that the match was rigged in favor of Fury.

Tyson Fury confirmed that there was no rematch clause in the contract, but he expressed interest in facing Ngannou again “down the line” after his anticipated undisputed title fight against Ukraine’s IBF, IBO, WBO, and WBA champion Oleksandr Usyk. The date for their highly awaited showdown in Riyadh has yet to be officially announced but is expected to take place on December 23.

More Afrika Eyes News  NPFL: Wikki Tourists Beat Abia Warriors 1-0

Usyk, who was present in Saudi Arabia to witness his future opponent in action, declared his readiness for the impending battle.

Ngannou vacated his UFC heavyweight belt earlier in the year due to a contract dispute, becoming a free agent in January. Reflecting on the fight, Ngannou acknowledged his limited training time and an injury going into the bout but refrained from making excuses.

He expressed his determination to improve his skills and return to the ring stronger, stating, “Now I know I can do this… get ready. The wolf is in the house.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Sports

To Top